Ogłoszenie

Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to retire our beloved Forum Detroit. It has served the Polonia Detroit for over 10 years, and was a source of joy for many. However, after many months of inactivity, the time has come to bid it farewell.

Deepest and warmest thanks to all those who contributed to Forum discussions over the years, either by sharing their thoughts or reading those of others. Your presence and participation served as a building block of this online polish community.

Forum Detroit

#1 02.02.2010 16:39:24

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy
Od: Michigan

Polish Folk Dancing Groups

POLANIE Song & Dance Ensemble, Wawel Ensemble and Dunajec are heading to Rzeszow in 2011.  Zakopane Dancers may be going too.  They could use Polonia's support.

If Zakopane attends this will be there first year.
Dunajec has travelled once before to this festival
Wawel has attended more than 5 times
POLANIE has attended five times.

In 2008 only POLANIE and Wawel represented Detroit's Polonia.  45 dance groups from 19 countries.  Please support them on their journey.

It is okay to be different.
It is okay to have an opinion.
But, if you have a different opinion than show strength of character to defend it.

#2 02.02.2010 20:58:19

Zoomboy
Legendarny Mistrz Forum
Od: USA

Re: Polish Folk Dancing Groups

Could they unite in to one strong group?

That’s all, folks
Przekażmy sobie znak pokoju.
Hasta la vista, Vaya con Dios
Я возвращусь, Ich werde zurück sein, Je reviendrai, Estarei de volta, Θα είμαι πίσω, I červnu se zpět, Leszek vissza, وحقوق عودة

#3 02.03.2010 08:16:16

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

To some extent your suggestion is valid.  There are many reasons for them to be separate.  One is part of the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America...another is part of Polish National Alliance.  In addition, Dunajec and POLANIE are very young adults (young as 15 and the oldest is probably 22) while Wawel are older adults.  In addition, they are in different parts of town.  I think only POLANiE is on the west side (Detroit/Dearborn area). Dunajec is in Sterling heights.  Wawel is Hamtramck or Warren (not sure). 

But, for the festival, I can see joining together if a group has the desire to go to the festival in Rzeszow and they don't have 8 couples (minimum requirement). 

The problem for all the groups - lack of men.

Another problem:  having enough money for authentic costumes.  POLANIE this year is spending over $4000 on new costumes and they have been buying new costumes every year for the past several years.  The money comes from parents and friends supporting fundraisers.

But, if you have a different opinion than show strength of character to defend it.

#4 02.03.2010 21:33:48

Fesia
Rozgadany

Krolu do PRCUA w Merto Detroi nalezy kilkanascie (14-18 )grup tanecznych (Dunajec nie nalezy!!!,jest to jedyny chyba zespol nie zrzeszony w tak bogatej i poteznej organizacji polonijnej.Dunajec dziala przy Parafii MBCz w St.H.i sam sie finansuje)
Zastanawiam sie dlaczego PRCUA nie wspiera finansowo nielicznych "swoich"grup wyjezdzajacych na festiwal do Rzeszowa.Rodzice dziatwy placa za zajecia -rocznie ok $250,oprocz tego kazdy musi obowiazkowo wykupic polise ubezpieczeniowa,jednorazowo ok $300 lub wiecej ,jesli placisz raty wychodzi pare stowek.
Nie wiem ,moze PRCUA wspiera  grupy ,ale jesli nie moglaby dolozyc troche tym co wyjezdzaja na festiwal.

#5 02.04.2010 08:25:15

ak
Niezaprzeczalna Legenda Forum
Serwis

a moze tancerze sami poglowkuja, jak zarobic pieniadze na wyjazd do Rzeszowa. Pamietam, jak Dunajec podejmowal rozne dzialania, ktore daly im pieniazki.
no i chyba Krol zapomnial o naszej unii kredytowej, skoro sponsoruje kazde wydarzenie 'kulturalne", nawet artystow z Polski ( za nasze pieniadze) to tym bardziej wyda nasze pieniadze na nasze dzieci, tanczace w zespolach.
a przy okazji wszystkich tancerzy zapisze do unii. I statystyki beda rosly!

"Friends are flowers in the garden of life"

#6 02.04.2010 09:09:34

Zoomboy
Legendarny Mistrz Forum
Od: USA

Nie wydaje się, ze nasza unia może cokolwiek i komukolwiek dać.
Rok zamknęli z prawie PÓŁMILIONOWĄ dziura.

That’s all, folks
Przekażmy sobie znak pokoju.
Hasta la vista, Vaya con Dios
Я возвращусь, Ich werde zurück sein, Je reviendrai, Estarei de volta, Θα είμαι πίσω, I červnu se zpět, Leszek vissza, وحقوق عودة

#7 02.04.2010 10:02:15

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

I have heard that Our Lady of Czestochowa helps to fund Dunajec.  I am not sure how true that is.  PNA helps all of its schools across the country.  The school receives a small stipend for each dancer or student that belongs to the school and that is a PNA member.  Beyond that each dance must appeal to PNA for additional funding.  POLANIE in 2008 did a letter appeal to the credit union, PNA and others in the community.  Both the credit union and pNA supported POLANIE's efforts.  POLANIE wore a tshirt in Poland with all their supporters written on the back of the shirt as a way to publicly acknowledge those that helped them get there.     

The festival (1 week) itself is inexpensive - about $350.  Add to that $1200-$1400 plane fare.....touring for one additional week....meals not covered...souvenirs and it adds up to about $2000+ per dancer (or parent that attends as a chaperone).  Fundraising efforts by the group help pay for costumes (Lowicz and Nowy Sacz costumes are about $1000 each....boots are about $250-$350)......a provide a small "scholarship" to the dancers to help them with expenses.  Overall, it is still an expensive proposition.

I attended (as a guest...not a dancer) the festival in 1999 and then went as a parent with my children in 2008.  The festival is truly an international Polonian event.  It is truly an experience of a lifetime for most of these young people.  Singing, dancing and playing the violin and accordian on window sills for everyone to here. 

It is important to add three points. 
1) PNA Chicago provides the greatest funding to WICI in Chicago.  They are pNA's "professional" group that also goes to the festival.  Fair or unfair it is the way it is.   
2)  PRCUA, I believe, provides free tuition to its dancers if they have a policy.  I thought it was mandatory in order to be in a dance group.  If yes, then they are definitely helping their groups but in a different way.
3)  In general, it seems that more of an American audience likes watching Polish folk dancing.  Unfortunately, many of our dance groups are not educating their viewers by dancing polkas.  We are fortunate to have adult ensembles that are focused on truly authentic folk dancing.  Dunajec and POLANIE both had their Dozynki celebrations this year.  This was super.  It is a combination of folk dancing dancing with Polish tradition.

#8 02.06.2010 15:19:28

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

New information....

Tonight is the Austrian Strauss Ball?  Many of Detroit's Polonia participate in the STrauss Ball each year.  What are your thoughts on this?

I think this is a huge shame.  Czy to wstyt czy nie?

#9 02.16.2010 15:06:56

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

Come to the 3rd Annual Polish Folk Dancing Festival at centrum on march 6 at 4 or 5pm.  16 dance groups.  POLANIE, Wawel, Dunajec, Mala Polska, Zakopane Dancers - all the older ones....they will be performing later.  The young ones are in the beginning.

Please support these groups by your attendance.  It costs $1.  jedzenie and napoje available for $$$$

Who knows...maybe you will see the Krol there!

#10 03.07.2010 20:21:40

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

Sto Lat to POLONIA for your overwhelming support of this event.  The crowd was incredible - all day long.

#11 03.07.2010 20:52:27

madmax

patrzac na reportaz na TvD to rzeczywiscie publicznosc dopisala. Gratulacje

"Największą chlubą nie jest to, aby nigdy się nie potknąć, ale to, aby po każdym upadku dźwignąć się i stanąć na nogi."

#12 03.23.2011 16:59:45

KrolKrzywonosy
Partner do rozmowy

Gratulacje to POLANIE for being accepted in the XV World FEstival of Polish Folk DAncing in Rzeszow POLAND.  This is their 6th trip and the 5th time as POLANIE. Cogratulations on your 15th anniversary.

#13 03.23.2011 17:42:07

madmax

Gratulacje i powodzenia

"Największą chlubą nie jest to, aby nigdy się nie potknąć, ale to, aby po każdym upadku dźwignąć się i stanąć na nogi."

Stopka forum